Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Thursday, April 26, 2012

Run Away Horse...

With our next show in a matter of a couple days, I have been trying to cram as many lessons in as possible to prepare ourselves for our first dressage test.  Eddy was a superstar last weekend, so I was feeling that Eddy should be on his best behaviour during our lesson. Well, I felt wrong.  Though he is getting much better at the downward transitions... his prior life he only was given the "go" and never the "whoa".   (It took me a year and a half to get him to stand beside the mounting block and another half year to get him to only walk as I got on).   

Eddy was as hot as hot can be.  Realizing that I had been practicing the walk/trot test for the last couple weeks instead of the entry test which I was suppose to ride, I needed to work on my canter.  And away we went..... Goodbye Ali and Eddy.....

Usually the canter is our best gait, best form, best impulsion, best carriage, but last night it became all about going stronger, faster and lest more and more out of control.  Because he is a jumper, I sometimes worry if I can't steer him I may find myself jumping out of the ring  (Yes, he is a point and aim kinda guy...)

I could see my coaches blank expression meant - OMG, we're doomed for Sunday's test.  "Maybe he just needs a good run?" She suggested. Well, that's fine and dandy I complied, (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?)  IF I had any type of brakes. We switched the bit up to a western snaffle. I am not hard handed, so this bit isn't cruel it just gives me a better insurance policy for stopping.  It actually makes Eddy quite soft when he is one of "those kind of moods" but for everyday riding, it is much too much of a bit.  (I used to put my old mare in this bit when the spring time came and the happy bucking and bolting fits began. It made her very sweet. As my coach would say "you could melt butter in her mouth".  I don't really get that saying, but it really sets the tone...  )

Out I went for a run.  My mind is thinking  "am I crazy ?" - or -  "this may be kinda fun". Not everyday does your coach condone you running your horse to take the edge off.  Low and behold, it was what we needed. We did a beautiful controlled canter all around the fields of the farm AND I HAD BRAKES! We returned to the barn. I thought we were going to call it a night, but back we went to the ring.  Let's test the theory.... yup, it worked. We did a perfect dressage test.

What's on the itinerary for Saturday?  A good run on the trails. LOL

1 comment: