Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Friday, April 13, 2012

It's Show Time

After much procrastination, I finally buckled down, and admitted I am not going to get any younger - it's time to compete again.

No, not endurance, I am flying my flag in another territory now. What?  Oh, just hunter/jumper, dressage and cross country (You know, the whole eventing thingy, oh plus a few hunter shows on the side). Yes, I have my work cut out for me, but I have the horse who will take me where I want to go. I have always dreamed of being an all-around rider. I want to say: been there, done that!  But sitting idle in my saddle at home won't get me there. It's time to put in place an action plan and nothing says that more than when I tell my coaches, I am going to a show! Suddenly your casual riding turns into serious time in the saddle working hard to improve all your flaws just in time for the show.

Did I mention dressage and jumping?  Yes, two coaches, two totally different ways of riding... my body is slightly confused - two point or three point? hands high or low? stirrups up or down? But, hey! others riders can do it, so can I... right?  The good old muscle memory is in training. The funny thing is, the more dressage I do, the better my jumping is and the more jumping I do, the more I learn what in dressage I need to work on to get my jumping better. Huh, who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment