Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cowgirl Up!

Well, I am officially converted. Riding in a rodeo was more fun than I ever expected. I had a blast! My horse was quite anxious, despite being the most experienced, she was the least well behaved out of our group. I had a feeling that she was going to dump me and boy was I right. Our first event- the barrels- started with a bucking escapade. During the bucking, my hat flew over my eye's so I pulled her up, whipped off the cowboy hat and continued on. Our next two events went without incident- we were much slower than the other riders but rode with extreme precision and grace. I was very happy with her performance. The last event we were entered in was the keyhole- gallop down to an open ended circle, ride in, turn around and gallop back out. Everyone was encouraging me let Sheylan open up and give it her all, so I did- that in hindsight was a mistake; she spotted a mudhole and came to a dead stop halfway down the ring. Off I flew. I landed on my feet. I then ran back to her left side, and got back on. In the process of getting back on I lost my stirrup. It had come loose and fell right off the saddle, but I continued on anyways and completed the event. The cowboys were amazed that I could ride stirrupless- to them that is unheard of, so I was destined as the trick rider of the day. Now I am hooked and can't wait for my next rodeo. Perhaps I will actually practice before I enter in some of the events!

No comments:

Post a Comment