Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Another evening ride

Last night I rushed to the farm after work to make it to my weekly lesson. I rode Rio, an anglo arab. I spent the last two years helping train Rio. He was a very green six year old, but with a lot of patience and time he has become one of the top horses at our barn. This year I have traded my trail stirrups in for dressage. Rio is my favourite when it comes to dressage; he is a very talented horse who can turn into butter if you know how to push the right buttons. Last night he was very forward and very willing to work, he even gave me the best canter we have had all year. I was very pleased.

After our lesson we joined my friend on her horse Solo for a trail ride in the valley. Our rides together are more gab that riding (we like to talk) which proved itself not ideal as we were too busy talking to notice a doe just off the trail. Poor Vanessa who was leading had Solo spook and spin, leaving her to a very slow, "unscheduled dismount". She landed on the ground with her feet in the air which in turn spooked Solo again, only to run backwards into the brush and get into even more of a tangle. I, only the other hand had a little bit more warning (thank goodness- it's a long way down on him) and was able to pull the e-brake and control Rio before he could spin and leave. We got ourselves back in order and continued on down the trail, laughing at our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment