Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Riding with bugs

It's that time again. Bugs, bugs, bugs.  The horses are all wearing fly mask and to go out on the trail, you have to beat them before they eat you.  If you cannot trot, you will get eaten alive. I must be tastier than the average human because the bugs just love me.  I have scars from deerfly bites.  We ride in the river flats, so the deer flies are especially bad and they are hard to outrun.  Especially the horseflies, a good gallop and you would think you lost them, but they are speedy little things. The worst is the green worms that drop from the trees in the spring while you are riding down trail. I once got caught in a nest of them, and had to take off my t-shirt in disgust - they went everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE).  My boyfriend of course found it quite amusing. However, he was following behind me and didn't get near the worms that I got.  Ahh summer!!! All winter long we await the warm temps, only to wish for winter to come back because of the darn bugs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment