Horses lend us the wings we lack.


In riding a horse we borrow freedom.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.







Saturday, May 28, 2011

Forget tack shops, let go garage saling!

Every year, I love to go hunt for bargains at the local community-wide garage sales. Never before have I seen so many garage sales in one town, nor those that actually have good stuff for sale. This year, I brought my mother in law along to share the fun.  She is an avid barterer and boy, did I learn how to bargain for low prices. I came home with literally a truck load of stuff, and paid for nothing in full.  The steal of the day was a trophy saddle from the Dodge Rodeo tour in 2001.  The previous owner a bull rider - afraid of horses (go figure) -  had never had it on a horses back before and had no idea of it's worth (approx $1100).  My mother in law played it cool, pretended that she knew nothing about horses, when in actuality she is a professional in the horse world and offered them $100.  We paid a shocking $250 and walked away knowing we practically stole if from them.  And guess what?! It fits my horse perfectly. It took a while to break the 10 year old leather in!

No comments:

Post a Comment